Creatively Customizing your Existing Web Presence
Sept 10th – Oct 7th 2014
No coding experience? No problem. "Creatively Customizing Your Existing Web Presence" is designed to empower library staff to tailor their library’s web presence for their users without learning traditional web coding skills by identifying opportunities to modify vendor products. Many libraries direct users to some type of vendor product including databases, discovery layers, e-resource management tools, and content management systems. Each of these products has the capability of being customized, but each product also comes with default, out-of-the-box implementations. Course participants will be challenged to think beyond basic customizations and develop innovative ways to enhance their vendor supplied web pages.
As a result of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify vendor products currently used at their library.
- Identify opportunities to customize vendor products and enhance user’s experiences with those products.
- Develop and create mock-ups in order to communicate and share ideas with other staff members for planning and/or implementation.
- Identify opportunities to integrate vendor products on other web pages including library pages.
- Create and integrate a web tool or widget with little or no coding experience.
Instructor: Heidi Webb, Instructional Support Technician - SUNY ESF Delivery: 4 Week - Online Course – Delivered via Blackboard Learn
This course is part of the Innovative Library Services through Technology Certificate Program, but can be taken individually. Participants do not have to be enrolled in the ILST Certificate to register.